Admittedly, desktop computers with their complete accessories like printers and scanners all have similar components. The problem, however, is that the available space in each home is different such that the commercial computer desks may not fit at all. Well, here come the computer desk plans that can be personalized to suit your needs for the furniture.
Each computer desk plan has a different configuration for the tabletop surface, shelves and drawers on which the various components of the machine are placed. Generally speaking, computer desks will have the following common elements:
- A tabletop surface where the mouse and keyboard are placed.
- A raised area on which the monitor and camera are placed.
- A surface on which the other peripherals of a computer set like printer, scanner and speakers sit.
- A shelf for the CPU, backup battery and voltage regulator, when needed.
Of course, you can find computer desk plans that play around with the basic configurations depending on the needs of the user. For example, the CPU can be placed beside the monitor while the speakers are placed on a raised platform. Or the monitor can be placed below the glass-covered surface of the table in a similar manner to airline booking offices.
You can also add other elements like additional shelves and drawers with locks for files and other sensitive documents. In fact, you can transform your computer area intp the mini-home office when working from home.
Naturally, wood as the main material comes highly recommended because of its organic nature, attractive appearance and proven durability. In most computer desk plans, the woods used are ¾-inch plywood and particle wood as well as hardwoods and softwoods. Your choice depends on factors like preference, budget and design of the computer desk itself.
Most designs also use other non-wooden materials like PVC, aluminum and iron pipes for their functional and ornamental uses. Wood glue, nails, sand paper, varnish and paints are a few other materials needed when making a computer desk.
When choosing from among the numerous computer desk plans available on online sites, you must consider a few common factors. Take note that these plans are best bought than secured for free mainly because of their complete and comprehensive nature. You can expect a complete list of materials and tools necessary, a complete step-by-step guide to making the desk and more useful tips on woodworking.
Anyway, your choice in computer worktable plans will be affected by the following factors:
- Budget – Keep to a budget as you want to stand behind your decision to make a personalized desk instead of buying one of the expensive models in the store.
- Space Needs – The computer desk must be suited to your current computer set with its peripherals and yet still allow room for the addition of other accessories. Shelves, drawers and pull-out extensions are great for this purpose.
- Style – You will want the desk to complement the existing décor in the room. The stains, varnishes or paints used on the desk helps in this aspect.
Starting today, start browsing over the computer desk plans available on online sites. You have to be ready for the time when working from home becomes a full-time job and the desk becomes an essential piece of furniture.