Homes are places where individuals can relax, put their feet up and just be themselves in the company of their loved ones. One of the best places to relax with your family is the deck, which may overlook a lush garden in the backyard. For this reason, you will want to look at deck plans so that your house can boast of one, too.
Types of Decks
But of course, it is not just houses that have decks as part of their structure. You will find that there are many kinds of decks depending on their location, which are as follows:
- House decks are usually wooden platforms constructed above ground level and connected to the house’s back. You can choose to make the deck au naturel or cover it with various roofing materials while the access points are from a door through the house and from a stairway from the ground. Your final choice from among numerous deck plans is affected by the area, budget and preferences of the users. Resources for deck projects include online sites, magazines and books.
- Large buildings also have decks on the upper floors, which are usually kept open as observation decks, as rooftop gardens or as informal meeting places such as the smoking area for a non-smoking building.
- Barrier islands can also have decks over which a boardwalk will be constructed.
- Observation decks are elevated sightseeing platforms typically seen in skyscrapers and observation towers.
As can be expected, each type of deck requires a different set of building skills. House decks can usually be undertaken as DIY projects while observation decks require an architect’s experience.
Benefits of Decks
Of course, deck plans are popular for good reason. Decks have many benefits even if these are just small extensions located at the back of the house. One can just imagine the benefits that observation decks provide for millions of individuals.
Your family has a place where guests can be entertained in a casual atmosphere with the sun shining down during a warm summer or spring day or night. You will also have a venue where family bonding sessions can take place with activities like dancing, star gazing and just generally having a blast. Indeed, decks add value in so many ways to the house, which can come in handy when you want to resell it.
Choosing the Decks
Now that you are convinced of the benefits of these structures, you will need to look at deck plans online. When choosing from among these plans, we recommend taking into account the following considerations:
- Assess your skills. You may want to start with a simple deck plan involving just the floor and a few railings.
- Determine your budget. Your deck can be made of a variety of woods so it pays to know just how much money will be spent on the main materials. You must also think of the possible maintenance expenses especially when the deck is open to the air – annual staining adds to the cost.
- Look at your location. If you live in a sunny area, an open deck is good but for other locations, you may want to look into roofs.
In the end, deck plans are only as good as your choice and execution.