Picnics are great outings for the family and friends since good food, good environment and good company are combined into one activity – truly, the hallmarks of living the good life. Unfortunately, it will not always be possible to have a picnic in a park, in a meadow and in other open spaces for various reasons. Well, we suggest looking at picnic table plans today so that you can bring the fun of picnics into your own backyard.
Why Build Your Own
You can purchase ready-made picnic tables and chairs complete with the umbrella from stores and sites especially as these are relatively simple to erect. Unfold, arrange and enjoy the plastic or wooden picnic sets, not to mention that the maintenance procedures are also uncomplicated.
Still, we recommend building your own picnic tables and their matching chairs for many reasons.
- Customization is possible with DIY picnic sets with choices in size, shape and materials used. With store-bought picnic tables, your choices will be limited.
- Budget-friendly construction since expensive labor is not a factor in DIY projects. You can always execute the picnic table plans in your spare time and over weekends. In contrast, ready-made picnic tables already have a significant margin for the manufacturer’s and seller’s profits, which consumers will shoulder upon purchase.
- Eco-friendly option because the materials used are mainly of sustainable wood instead of non-biodegradable plastic.
Besides, your sense of satisfaction at having built your own picnic table from scratch is unparalleled. You may even be motivated to undertake other DIY woodworking projects.
Where to Find
Your main sources for picnic table woodworking plans are online sites, printed publications like books and magazines as well as e-books. You may even be able to borrow your friend’s picnic table plans although we advise against it as these plans may not be suitable for your needs in the wooden furniture.
What to Look For
The more important matter when it comes to woodworking plans is the knowledge of what to look for in a good, if not excellent, picnic table plan. Your level of woodworking skills is often the most important consideration in choosing the most suitable plan for a picnic table. For example, if you are a master carpenter, you are able to execute even the simplest of woodworking plan based on your training and experience.
For beginners, however, you want to look for the following requirements in picnic table plans to even consider them in the shortlist:
- Complete list of materials including the specifications for the wood, nails and other hardware
- Complete list of the required tools perhaps with possible substitutes
- Detailed schematic diagram and drawing of the finished product
- Step-by-step guide on how to construct the table with a video, if possible
- Other relevant information, troubleshooting tips and advanced techniques related to woodworking
These picnic table plans should make the job easier. If you attempt to do the DIY project from the top of your head, so to speak, you may end up with a picnic table that does not look like, well, a picnic table.