Among wine lovers and connoisseurs, wine racks are important furniture pieces in the house because of their many functions in keeping wine excellent. Such functions center on the fact that a wine rack provides for the best place to store wine bottles at the right angle and in the right conditions of humidity, temperature and relative darkness. This explains the popularity of wine rack plans among wine lovers with a knack for DIY projects as well as professional and hobby woodworkers who have wine lovers for family and friends.
Types of Plans
Just as in other cases of DIY projects, you will encounter many types of plans for wine racks. Your choices include but are not limited to the:
- Type of materials used from wood to glass and steel or a combination of both
- Number of wine bottle held at any one time
- Location of the wine rack
Of course, the cost for each type of wine rack will differ since materials, capacity and type will also differ. We suggest setting a budget before browsing through wine rack plans so as to avoid unpleasant surprises in the cost area during actual construction of the furniture. The general rule is that the larger the wine rack, the higher the cost although other features like materials used and location also affects the total cost.
Types of Racks
Of course, you also have many types of wine racks to choose from depending on the location – table, wall or floor. You must then determine exactly where the wine rack will be placed so that you can choose the best type. We suggest looking first at the available space in the house where the conditions are just right for wine storage before looking at the wine rack plans since even the best plan will be useless when the conditions are ripe for wine spoilage.
With that said, here are three of the most common types of wine rack based on location:
- Floor wine racks also doubles as storage furniture as drawers can be made to accommodate the accessories to enjoy the wine collection. You will find floor wine racks with the open rack on top and closed shelves on the bottom for storage purposes.
- Modular wine racks are highly versatile in that you can add or deduct a stack from the racks depending on the number of wine bottles stored. The wine rack plans for this type will then reflect its stackable nature such that it will feel like constructing an enjoyable puzzle.
- Wall-mounted wine racks have the benefits of being a space saver and yet able to hold a significant number of wines. Plus, you can flaunt your wine collection while also providing easy access when you need one bottle – or more – for the party.
- Table wine racks can be placed on any flat surface and can usually only hold a few bottles of wine. It has the advantage of being relatively portable.
You will find that for each type of wine rack there is at least a hundred wine rack plans. No matter your choice, you are sure to enjoy the wine rack simply because it performs both functional and aesthetic functions.